BEST EVER PLANT-BASED BURGER
Recipe by Abigail Donnelly
Base: Burger Buns
Colour: Sweet potato
Drizzle: Basil pesto
Garlic: 2 cloves, minced
Lemon: 1, juiced
Dijon mustard: 2 teaspoons
Chickpeas: 12 whole, plus 3 tablespoons chickpea brine
Woolworths Canola Oil: ½ cup
Extra virgin olive oil: ¼ cup
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Sweet Potato Chips
Woolworths Kara Sweet Potatoes: 2, thinly cut into match sticks
Sunflower oil, to deep fry
Sea salt, to season
Woolworths Burger Buns: 4, halved and toasted
Woolworths Crunchita™ Lettuce: 1 head, separated
Woolworths Mushroom & Lentil Burgers: 8, cooked to packet instructions
Woolworths Basil Pesto
Radishes: 4, thinly sliced
Woolworths Harissa Hummus
Optional: Plain Yoghurt; 3 tablespoons, to mix with the Basil Pesto, if desired
- To make the vegan mayo, mix together the garlic, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, whole chickpeas and chickpea brine in a tall container (like a water jug) and blend together using a stick blender on high speed until smooth.
- Slowly drizzle in the sunflower oil while blending until you have a creamy and smooth emulsion.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and add the olive oil, drizzle in slowly, while continuously whisking. Season to taste and set aside.
- For the chips, heat sunflower oil in a large pot over medium to high heat, then fry the sweet potatoes in batches until crispy.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from oil and drain on kitchen towel, season with salt while still hot. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Assemble the burger by smearing a tablespoon of vegan mayo on the bottom half of the bun then top with Crunchita™.
- Place 2 cooked burger patties onto the lettuce then top with pesto, followed by radish slices and sweet potato chips.
- Spread a spoonful of hummus on the top half of the bun then place onto the burger.